“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Never let 'life' get in the way of living"

No News = Good News

I'm not sure which R. Kelly album it is, but someone outside my window is blasting it really loudly right now. That's pretty much how it always is. If it isn't music, its roosters crowing, or dogs fighting, or cats having sex....either way, its always loud outside. Doesn't help that I live on the main road by the market...so there are always people. Its almost like living in the city, so I can deal with the noise. Even at 5am (I was awoken today at 5am by rihanna/eminem).

Training is going well. I have been attempting to learn the language so I can "adjust" and "integrate" better. I think that's happening even without me being fluent in Portuguese. My sisters have managed to drag me to the discoteca every weekend for the past 3 weeks. Actually, I wanted to go...its fun! And I need some fun, because training gets stressful. My host mother's birthday was last week. We had a huge party. I bought us matching capulanas. There was a double chocolate cake that was to die for. TO DIE FOR!! A few of my fellow PCTs came, and we sang the Stevie Wonder version of Happy Birthday...everyone loved it. They all joined in (and were still singing it the next day).

We took a day trip to Matola last weekend. It was my second time there. Matola is like a suburb of Maputo. Appatently a lot of affluent people live there. We visited this shopping center, got lost in the wonder that is Shop Rite (like a Mozambican WalMart, but more amaz-ng), ate pizza at this little cafe surrounded by ex-pats, and took a chapa back to Namaacha.

I'm not sure if I should explain the wonder/horror/much needed life experience/test of patience/personal space invasion that is the "chapa ride" yet...I don't even know if I can put it into words...

Just know that the main form of public transport here is the chapa, and if you imagine packing 25 people, babies, chickens and goats into a 15 passenger van, you might get the point.

I'll go into more detail later. My empregada just brought out my dinner. Matapa, rice, and....eggs?

Whatev...I'm hungry

No comments:

Post a Comment