“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Never let 'life' get in the way of living"

Here Goes Nothing...

September 26, 2010

I've packed up and left Chicago. Here I am...8 hours away from stepping on a plane to Philly to meet 70 other people for our pre-service orientation. Fun times indeed, especially since people are already making plans to have their last USA-style night on the town tomorrow. On Tuesday, we all pack up, head to JFK airport, and hop on a flight to Johannesburg, South Africa. After that, we split into two groups, and take another flight to Maputo, Mozambique. After a day or two there (filled with more orientation style activities, vaccinations, and icebreakers), we head to a village named Namaacha, where we meet our host families with whom we will be staying with for our 10 weeks of training. Training is 6 days a week, ALL day long....needless to say, my days of sleeping in are long gone.

Somehow I've managed to pack my entire life into a large travel pack, a medium sized rolling suitcase, and two carryons. I'm pretty sure that I will be taking some things out at the airport...my bags are pretty heavy. It's ok though, whatever I dont bring, I can get it there, or have it sent to me.

So start saving up your stamps, folks :)

The general responses I've gotten from people are all positive. Of course, my mom is worried that I'll end up with some incurable disease. My grandmother is worried I might get married and never come back. At this point, I've heard it all... and yes, I'm still going. And yes, that probably makes me a little bit crazy.

But crazy people are the most fun, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment