“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Never let 'life' get in the way of living"

Celebrate Good Times...Come On!!

November 27, 2010

Today was the homestay celebration party where all of the families of each volunteer got together for a giant party. It was fun. I would post pictures, but of course...my computer is still down. Still waiting on dad :)

After the celebration, my sister said we were going to another party for a wedding that was on that day. I asked her what should I wear. She said whatever...whatever you'd wear to a party...

Turns out, it was an actual wedding reception. And I was severely underdressed.

It was great to finally see a wedding reception here. It was absolutely beautiful. Actually, it wasn't much different from a wedding in the States. There was even a "move your car" announcement....

...And an awesome cheesy wedding singer with the MIDI keyboard singing Lou Rawls songs. That might have been my favorite part....


Its always interesting to see the many different races of people that live around here. Mozambique, at least down here in Maputo province, is way more diverse than I thought it would be. There were all types of people at the wedding. Too bad I didn't really meet anyone except for the people at my table...my sisters were wondering why I didn't get up to get food immediately. I didn't know how to say "I am not dressed appropriately for this occasion so I am not getting up", so I just told them I wasn't hungry. They blew it off, told everyone at the table that I didn't speak Portuguese, and after that everyone pretty much ignored me. No big deal. Being American gets me out of a lot of situations where uncomfortable, forced small talk would otherwise take place. Even if I understand everything someone is saying (which most of the time, I do), I can just pretend like I don't, smile and nod, and people just leave me alone or treat me like the "slow kid in the class"....but it saves me from interacting with people I don't want to talk to.

Well, sometimes it does. In this case, I still had to deal with the boyfriend of some girl who knew my sister. Everytime she walked away, he started talking to me. Ugh...these Mozambican men...

Anyway, what was interesting aside from the cheesy wedding singer, the "damas" and "damos"(Which to my understanding are like bridesmaids and groomsmen, but they were all really young, like teenagers) were also a source of entertainment at the reception. They had to do these choreographed dances, and even had costume changes throughout the evening. They started with a waltz style dance, very formal and traditional. Then later they did a salsa dance. Later they did a Mozambican version of the electric slide ("the hustle" for the Detroit people). Its basically the same, except for there's two dips instead of one. People were joining in, and by that time, not eating and the unlimited open bar was starting to set in, so I jumped up and joined in....

Until some lady stepped on my foot and broke my shoe....

I was beyond annoyed. I hobbled back to my seat with my broken shoe. At that point, there was nothing for me to do but sit, drink, and deflect advances from that guy who was CLEARLY already taken.... So that's what I did for the rest of the night...

At one point, I had to pee. I asked the woman sitting next to me where the bathroom was. She said there wasn't one. Weird. I knew there was a bathroom there because I had been to that place before and I remember there being one, I just didn't remember where. So I asked one of my sisters, who then turned to the same woman and told her to take me to the bathroom. The woman grabbed my hand and led me outside. As I hobbled down the street (because of my broken shoe) I asked where we were going. She said "oh, behind these cars". I thought she meant to the building behind the cars...which likely had a bathroom. But nope...once we got behind the cars, she looked around, and said "ok, do like this" and she squatted down and started peeing. At that point, I REALLY had to go, so I had no choice....I squatted behind the car and peed with her.

Yep. I sure did.

That's why you should always have TP and hand sanitizer with you...

Anyway, after that, I hobbled back to the reception, sat at the table again and resumed my drinking/observing/deflecting.

The groom came around and greeted all of the men at the reception and gave them mini bottles of gin. The bride was absolutely gorgeous. She came around in her white gown and greeted all of them women and gave us mini bottles of Amarula (a South African version of Kaluha, but so much better). Not sure if that is a tradition or if they just decided to do it. A lot of money went into this wedding though, it was a grande event.

I also learned that wedding celebrations last for two days here. Because my friend mentioned a party the next day, and we went...turns out it was the same bride and groom. This time, it was ok that I was underdressed. It was a huge party with lots of singing and dancing and everyone presented the gifts to the bride and groom.

There was a pick up truck FULL of gifts when it was over....

There was more food. Someone handed me an entire PLATE of cake. There was also JELL-O!! Lots of wine. Good times.


Anyway, I swear in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer on Friday December 3rd! No more training! Then I jet off to Nampula for a conference, then over to Mandimba...

Its hard to leave Namaacha and have to say goodbye, but I'll get through it. Now its time for the real work...the real integration...the real job...everything I've been preparing for. This is the time where cards/care packages/letters and whatnot would be awesome from home. Just to help me adjust to not having 70 other Americans living around me, and not having a host mother make my food everyday, or not speaking English in some form everyday...you know..transitioning. I'll put my new address on here soon and some special requests as well :)

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on making it through PST! now, the real fun starts. good luck!

    ReplyDelete