“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Never let 'life' get in the way of living"

week 6 is almost over!

November 12th, 2010

I am in week 6 of training. Things are busy, but moving along quickly. Next Thursday we get our site announcements!! Yay!! So I'll know where I'm going and what I'll be doing...how exciting! My Portuguese is coming along well. I can tell the difference between Xangana and portuguese! ....but it will be a little while before eu falou bem portuguese...

But I'm trying :)

I've absolutely fallen in love with Namaacha. Its such a beautiful place, with great people. Right now its sunny, the sky is clear, there's a constant breeze and its 91 degrees...one of the hotter days. Its summertime in Mozambique...so while its cold back home, I'm headed to the beach next week! Training has been going well. Its been a pleasure meeting and interacting with everyone. We have an extremely bright group of people, especially the health volunteers. I'm learning so much.

Last week we had a really fun permagardening training. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but it turned out to be a great experience-spending the day outside getting dirty. Our seeds are already starting to sprout, and I'm actually looking forward to starting a permagarden when I get to site. I'll let you know how that goes.

Also last week, the Peace Corps driver pulled up with about 30-40 packages from the States. None for me though...I'm sure you guys are just waiting for the holidays to send me things, right? Yeah...ok...

In some ways, I'm excited about site placements. Training is hella stressful, and it will be great to know where I'll be and what I'll be doing and to finally get to the place where I'll be for the next 2 years....but in some ways, I really want to stay in Namaacha. I've met some awesome people here. And I kinda don't want to leave this place I've made into my home. But alas...all good things must come to an end. That's life. And in about 3 weeks, I'll be sworn in as a Volunteer, and I'll get on a plane, or into a car, to be whisked off to my site and dropped off in my new community.

I'm nervous!

Next week we get to have a mental health break, so some of us are heading to Xai Xai to hang out at one of the MANY fabulous beaches in Mozambique. Life is the Peace Corps is about working hard...but sometimes you have to play hard too! We just had the most fun Halloween party that you could think of. I went as a goddess...originally Grecian...but people kept guessing African...hmm, wonder why...

Either way, it was a good time

Random thoughts:
1.) The TV in my homestay stopped working, so I haven't been able to catch up on my Brazilian novellas. My mae says it should be fixed soon.

2.)There's a gas station here that sells ice cream, laughing cow cheese, pineapple fanta, and doritos, among other things.

That's all I have to say about that.
3.) I've stopped washing my face with regular water. Between the new water and all of the stress, my face looked like the rocky mountains...now with my filtered water, there's just a few little hills....
4.). I found another Laura. I'll leave that one for the people who know my Laura in the States...
5.) I can text in portuguese like a pro. I found someone to practice with :)


My sisters should be coming in from Maputo tomorrow. Should be a good time, as always. Once I get my computer up and running again (it won't charge.... Daddy should be sending me an external charger soon-i hope) I'll post some pictures. I haven't taken that many, so I guess I should get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment