“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Never let 'life' get in the way of living"

The Girly Girls Guide to Life in Peace Corps Mozambique

The Girly Girl's Guide to Life in Peace Corps Mozambique


So, there's a new group of Health trainees coming in June. Health tends to be a very girl heavy sector of Peace Corps, and judging from the Facebook stalking I have been doing, there are definitely some girly-girls in the bunch. So, I've decided to share some of the knowledge I've gained, and have developed this short “Girly Girl's Guide to Life in Peace Corps Mozambique”. I hope it helps :)


  1. Nail Polish is so important. Bring some. Why is it important? Well, the kind you get here sucks. It gives you something to do when you're bored. And girly girls like to be pretty. It will make you happier. And it's also a good conversation starter. I'm partial to very bright colors that always catch people's attention. Great way to get people talking to you, and therefore excellent for your integration! Also, bring a lot, because you'll be constantly changing the polish on your toes. It gets gross and chipped really quickly, especially if you're at the beach a lot.

  2. Make-up is also equally important. That is, if you wore it in the States. I'm an eyeshadow kind of girl, and although I hardly wear it on a day to day basis, there are opportunities (like important functions, nightclub outings, etc) where you want to look like you made an effort. Plus, when you're bored, it also serves as a distraction. And when you're feeling down, it always helps to look pretty (Remember, when you feel your worst, look your best!) Also dont forget lip gloss! Drylip is not cute.

  3. BRING YOUR FAVORITE HAIR PRODUCTS! And before you go, find a connect in the States who will send you replacements as you need them. No matter what color you are, or what texture your hair, you will NOT be able to find your favorite hair products. Emergency backup shampoo and conditioner, yes. Maybe even some Pantene. But the Carol's Daughter, L'oreal, Tresseme, Kinky Curly, crème of Nature, Paul Mitchell, etc etc? Not happening. The same also goes for styling tools. You will not find a quality flat iron or blowdryer. Please pack accordingly. (if there is a girl out there who relaxes her hair, you can find Dark and Lovely relaxer. Personally, I dont do that...but it is available. I would just recommend doing it yourself. I have yet to see a good relaxer job on anyone, except for in Maputo and Nampula)

  4. Onto the subject of clothes: Before I came to Moz, someone told me that Mozambique is where clothes come to die. They were right. The harsh conditions (handwashing, drying in the hot sun) can definitely take a toll. HOWEVER, you dont just want to bring your “crocodile dundee” hiking clothes either. You will want to express yourself, wear clothes you like, and feel comfortable. Anything you'd be pissed about destroying, dont bring (like, dont bring the Chanel and the DVF). But, I'd say bring your favorites too. Think about it: you're here for two years. Most girls gain weight (although some lose weight. Luckily I'm on the losing side, although barely) and when you get back, will those clothes really fit or be in style? Might as well wear them here where you'll be the most fashionable one in your town. I say find a balance of cute clothes and other clothes. Just know that they will get messed up eventually, so dont put too much effort into it. But also know, that if you're like me, you WILL go out when you have the opportunity to do so. And Mozambican women put effort into their appearance (even if some of them miss the mark). So you want to at least look like you tried.

  5. Shoes: Chacos and Tevas are your friends. Because your shoes will take a beating. But, I recommend bringing at least one pair of cute shoes, like a pair of cute sandals. My cute sandals are versatile and just dressy enough to work at all functions. Plus, going out in Tevas is NOT cool.

  6. Underwear: No one likes granny panties. But just know that your cute lacy undies won't stay cute and lacy for long.

  7. Feet: Bring a pumice stone, or a Ped Egg, or some type of scrubber/scraper, because your feet (especially if you wear flip flops a lot) will get GROSS. QUICKLY and OFTEN. And Claudia (the Training Manager) is strictly against what she calls “Peace Corps Feet” and will probably give you a lecture on properly caring for your feet. Also, Mozambicans notice if your feet are jacked, and will call you out on it.

  8. Soaps and Perfumes: While its not necessary to bring your favorite perfume, you might want to have it. Just because. Definitely bring your favorite soap though. The soap here is ok, but there arent many special scents, and it gets you clean, but you dont have that “soft” feeling after using a bar of Caress

  9. Batteries: Because when they go out, you'll be pissed.

  10. Scented Candles: When the power goes out, its nice to have a delightful scent fill the air. Plus, I just love candles.

  11. Deodorant: I saw some Lady Mitchum (the brand I use) at Shoprite the other day. But for safety's sake, bring lots of your favorite kind. You've been forewarned.

  12. Baby wipes: You can buy them here, although they're kinda expensive. I realized the value of Baby Wipes in the States. If you havent, then dont worry about it.

  13. Baby powder: You can also buy it here. Under-boob sweat is NOT your friend. And chafing is real here, people.

  14. Your computer! Dont be one of those PCVs who says “Oh, I want the PC experience. I dont want to bring my computer” You'll just annoy everyone else by always asking to use theirs.

  15. Facewash: In training, my skin (and mostly EVERYONE ELSE's too) broke out, terribly. I looked like a pimply faced 16 yr old. So make sure you have a set skin care routine. It might not help initially, but it will help things to clear out once your body stops freaking out.

  16. Bath gloves: These were the BEST thing I brought with me, really. Exfoliating is SO necessary, and you actually feel clean, something that is sometimes hard to achieve here when you're taking bucket baths (for a lot of you-outside)

  17. Lotion: I dont like the lotion here. I like my Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion. SO I brought it, and I'm happy.

  18. Razors/Refill Cartridges: They have disposable razors here, which work just fine I guess. Nothing can be as good as my BIC Soleil. Bring your favorite kind, because when you're trying to shave while taking a bucket bath, you need the least amount of complications possible.

  19. Earplugs: People in Mozambique wake up early and go to bed late. I, on the other hand, value my sleep.

  20. Chewing Gum: I like gum.

  21. Its totally ok to bring an unlocked blackberry. You can get the service turned on for a monthly fee,and personally I love having it. Just know that it will take a beating. And it would be smart to get another, cheap phone here to walk around with. Because cities like Nampula are known for being shady...

For now, I think thats it. Luckily, Mozambique is a country where lots of things are available, and there are lots of opportunities for a girly girl to be...well...girly! If you've been chosen to serve in PC Moz, you have definitely hit the lottery! It is amazing here, and I wouldnt want it any other way :)





No comments:

Post a Comment