“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Never let 'life' get in the way of living"

I Know How Beyonce Feels...if Beyonce did her own laundry...

May, 2011

I feel like Beyonce. Or Michelle Obama. Or Madonna. Or any other really really ridiculously famous woman. Because when they say that being in Peace Corps is like living in a fishbowl, they weren't lying. Everyone is watching me. And everything I do, every move I make, every breath I take, every step I take, they're watching me. And they're absolutely fascinated...

I was ashy the other day. Happens. I pulled out some lotion. Then everyone watched as I rubbed it on, asked me what it was, which resulted me passing around my lotion (that wasn't even special, I stole it from a hotel in Nampula...) so everyone could examine the special "American lotion" that wasn't even American.

I took out my braids one day and wore my hair natural. Big mistake. I got to work and everybody had to touch my hair, comment on my hair and ask me questions about my hair...it was like being in college again (only certain ppl will understand that reference).

If I wear a different pair of shoes....if I paint my nails a new color....if I wear earrings one day....its a huge production. People are just fascinated by my every move. People know me and I have no clue who they are. People yell out to me on the street and are excited to talk to me. Being famous was fun at first...but now I just want to be normal. I'm tired of everyone watching and critiquing my every action, and then commenting in local language to each other..

Believe me, NOTHING is more awkward and annoying than knowing that people are right in front of you talking about you in a language you don't understand...

OH- and don't get me started on me, being a celebrity, and doing something completely off the wall and strange...

My organization has a washing machine. And a dryer.

(I thanked the good Lord in heaven when I heard the news. No more handwashing clothes?? I'm sure I'm the ONLY PCV-esp in Africa- with a washing machine. And a dryer. Envy me)

Anyway, my org got a washing machine and dryer as a way to generate some income on the side. Thing is, everyone here is used to handwashing clothes, and has never even seen a washing machine. So my supervisor said I was welcome to use it at any time...because its just sitting there.

Silly me, I decided to wash my first load of clothes on a Monday. When people were at the office. Needless to say, I've never had an audience while washing my clothes, and I'd prefer it if I never had one again. There were 20 women, crowded around me, as I sorted through my dirty clothes, all asking me how it worked, what to do, and marveling at each step in the process. I turned on the water to a collective "ohh!!". I put in detergent to sounds of utter shock and awe, and comments in local language. I put in my clothes with a group of people breathing down my neck. Everytime I touched a button "what does that do?". "So you don't scrub the clothes first?""How does it get clean?".

I'm just doing laundry. Is it really that big of a deal?

After my first load was done washing, I wanted to use the dryer, but this gang of women protested and said I had to hang my laundry on the line. I'm not quite sure why...they just felt it was better that way. And they all grabbed my clothes and hung them on the line for me...after expressing their concern for my grabbing my wet clothes ("you're gonna get your outfit wet. Here, give me these clothes...")

That's another thing...people treat me like I'm fragile and can't do anything for myself. Or rather....can't do anything at all. I can't even sit with everyone else on the ground, I have to sit in a chair. I don't get my own water from the well that is 15ft away from my door, because the boys in my quintal won't let me. I was carrying a bag a bread the other day (bread! And nothing else) and someone rushed to help me, and grabbed the bag and walked me to my front door. People like to accompany me to the market, or to the store. And if I make a sound, or sigh, or clear my throat...automatically something is wrong with me and everyone is overly concerned.

Does Beyonce have these issues? I think around these parts, I'm more famous than she is. And that's no fun. If everyone here had cameras, I'd be on Mozambican TMZ...

Anyway, although it definitely seems like I'm complaining, I'm not. Ok I am, but its not that bad. I've gotten used to having an audience while I do laundry. And I have to remember that lots of people here have never seen washing machines. The last time I did laundry, I actually had fun showing the women what to do. There were only 2 as opposed to 20. They were some of my younger activistas. AND they asked if they could watch...they were so nice, I couldn't say no. After the clothes were washing, they said "that's it??? And so you can just go on about your day while your clothes are washing? Oh that's AMAZING! You can go for a walk, or cook....its that easy?? No scrubbing for hours in the sun?"

"No, and this machine here dries it for you. 1-2hrs, and you're done with your laundry"

That's right..I'm teaching people how to become lazy Americans. One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment