“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

"Never let 'life' get in the way of living"

Stupid Me

December 30, 2010

So I'm on vacation from my organization until January 5th, but because of Peace Corps rules, I can't leave for New Years weekend. So I'm relaxing at site. Today, I woke up, washed and deep conditioned my hair, and decided to take a nap. After my nap, I walked to the store, bought some stuff, and came back and cleaned. After my intense cleaning session, I decided to get some water from outside to rinse my bucket....and that's when I found myself locked out.

Awesome.

I didn't want to leave my door open because bugs would fly in, and being the idiot that I am, i shut the door too hard. And it locked. It had just finished raining and it was now dark. There were about 100 fireflies in my yard and thousands of stars in the sky, as well as steady lightning strikes off in the distance. Mozambique is just as beatiful at night as it is during the day...too bad I was standing outside against my will, without bug repellant...

My landlord wasn't home. His wife has been in Nampula for the past two weeks, and Miguel (who I learned ISN'T the empregado...he just does all of the work while he's on break from school...to "keep him from getting lazy") was missing in action. So I was all alone, in the dark, with the fireflies, under the stars, stuck outside....

I had nothing to do but wait. My ipod was still playing music through the speakers. I leaned against my door and listened through the window. About 20 minutes later, my landlord showed up. I told him what was going on.

He laughed.

Then he went into the house, grabbed a chair for me to sit, and started working on opening my door. I soon found out that with about 5 different tools and about an hour of time, someone could successfully break into my house. From now on, I'm keeping my security gate locked at all times.

And I'm keeping my keys on me at all times as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment